19th Edition of the show highlighted extraordinary designs and skills of VCUarts Qatar’s fashion design students
Doha, Qatar –Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts in Qatar (VCUarts Qatar’s) previewed their collection as part of its annual fashion show on May 3rd 2018
The fashion show, opened by Sandra Wilkins, VCUarts Qatar’s Chair of Fashion Design, featured collections of 25 sophomore, junior and senior fashion students.
Wilkins explained that the title of this year’s fashion show was ‘Pendulum’.
“The ‘Pendulum’ theme represents our focus in establishing a design department that meets the needs of this growing and diverse industry. The whole foundation of design is built on reimagining, re-proportioning, re-fabricating and making new again,” she said.
The students were required to submit their designs to a jury of fashion experts.
Students from the campus in Richmond, Virginia also showcased their designs during the fashion show.
Selina Farooqui, a VCUarts Qatar alumnus, was a guest designer for the show, where she showcased her Ramadan 2018 Collection.
“Having graduated from VCUarts Qatar in 2011, it’s an honor to have been invited to be the guest designer at this year’s fashion show,” she said. “I remember when I was a student taking part in this show and showing my first collection, and now I am back here, having worked on my own fashion line.
“The constant support, motivation and knowledge VCUarts Qatar provided me with enabled me to launch a successful fashion brand in Qatar.” said Selina
you may wish to read: my previous articles on Selina Farooqui :
The creative concept for this year’s show placed emphasis on ready-to-wear pieces which were both wearable and marketable.
A number of awards were given on the night. The W Doha Award went to Maryam Al-Bouanin for her children’s wear collection titled, ‘Playful Innocence’.
The Salam Fashion Award went Noor Aburish for her collection titled, ‘Lost in translation’.”
- The award for Most Outstanding Sophomore (Academic) went to Roudha Al-Mazroei
- The award for Most Outstanding Sophomore Collection went to Maha Al-Thani
- The award for Most Outstanding Junior (Academic) went to Heidi Rashad
- The award for Most Outstanding Junior Collection went to Heidi Rashad
- The award for Most Outstanding Senior (Academic) went to Sreehitha Saini
- The award for Most Outstanding Senior Collection went to Maryam Al-Bouanin
- The Friend of Fashion 2018 awards went to Mariea Lenette Webb, Nicole Danielle Pollard, and Latasha Annetta Dunston.
- The awards for Senior Collection Richmond went to Conner Francis Karlen, Chongwon Lee, Naradulam Batsuuri, and Anne Rae Carlson.
Five VCUarts Qatar students will have their collections shown at the home campus annual fashion show on May 10.
Sandra Wilkins by VCUarts Qatar’s Executive Dean Donald Baker praised Wilkins for her 20 years of hard work, loyalty and dedication to the university, and the fashion industry in Qatar. Wilkins retires next month after two decades in Qatar.
Dr. Donald Baker, Executive Dean, VCUarts Qatar, said: “For almost 20 years, Wilkins injected bright and imaginative ideas into the fashion design program – will miss her dearly.”
For a complete list of QF’s initiatives and projects, visit http://www.qf.org.qa